Saturday, July 7, 2007

Beautiful Blooms for a Beautiful Saturday

Do days get anymore beautiful than today? Sunshine, a slight breeze, no humidity. The garden loved it and offered up some stunning blooms. While I really, really like daylilies, this morning they looked exceptional. It was enough to make me really, really love them.

I thought the cranesbill was going to be a bust this year. It struggled all through spring. It still looks a little leggy but it's starting to bounce back. I divided it earlier this year and fear I did some serious damage to the roots. I'll have to read up on how to better deal with this plant next time around because the blooms really are worth waiting for.

Right around this time of year, my garden colour scheme begins a gradual colour shift from mostly purple to mostly pink. The astilbe lead the charge. Here it is en route to its full feathery glory. Astilbe easily takes the prize for most prolific blooms in return for least amount of effort. These plants are tireless bloomers year after year.

And while we're on the topic of "pretty in pink," the coneflowers are nearing their annual summer extravaganza of blooms. Here's one just starting to blossom. It's an exciting time in the garden. Not much has been happening for the last few weeks. Now the real show is about to begin.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Don't you just love it when the blooms are unfolding all around? Your flowers are looking wonderful. I really like the pink Astilbe, and that is a great photo of the just opening coneflower....lovely!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I love daylilies, but then I am fickle, I love anything that blooms willingly in my garden :). Great photos!