Sunday, March 16, 2008

Seedy Saturday

A recent post by Ottawa Hortiphilia made me curious about Seedy Saturday. I looked up the event and sure enough there was one happening in town this weekend. So with husband and 4-year-old in tow, I headed to "Seed World" as they dubbed it. Wow! Talk about a lot of seeds. I was unprepared for the variety and unprepared for the crowds. Gardeners, it would seem, are thriving in this city. One could spend hours browsing all the selections. I, however, made a surgical strike: 30 minutes to look around and shop while the family took in some kid-friendly activities. I limited my purchase to a packet of Petitbec, a Canadian tomato. I already have tonnes of seeds at home and the raised beds aren't even in yet. I thought it would be best to show a little restraint. Next year...well, that will be another story. There are lots of dates still to come across the country, so check it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like tons of fun!! My favorite seeds are sunflower. I can't get enough of them. I'll be buying more seeds next year too. Like you--I got to get the beds ready first.

kate said...

Now that is showing restraint ... I just went to see if there was one in Regina. The only Seedy Saturday in Saskatchewan is in Saskatoon. I should find out if we could get one going in Regina as well.

Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

and I missed that event..
too bad..