Sunday, March 9, 2008

It's Over!

I am unilaterally declaring winter over.

I don't care what the calendar says. I don't care that we are digging out from yet another two-day storm. I don't even care whether Toronto beats the record snowfall set in the winter of 1938-39. Back then, 207.4 centimetres (about 6'10") fell. We're only 12.2 centimetres short this time around. None of this matters. It's over!

This morning, the sun declared spring is here. The clocks say it too. They have sprung forward and Daylight Savings time has kicked in. Goodbye Farch. Goodbye winter urn. Make room for the daffodils. There's so much catching up to do. Connie got her garden clogs and felco pruner out days ago. And Soilman has been busy at the allotment. The parsnips are in the ground.

So me and my little sprout kept busy this weekend with another round of seed sowing. This time around we're trying leeks. I'm not much of a cook but my leek and potato soup is awesome. I'm worried about "Operation Pepper." It's been two weeks since I planted the bell pepper seeds and there is still no sign of a sprout. On the bright side, I seem to be having great success with my helenium. They are sprouting all over. It's a good thing too. I fear my backyard heleniums might have had the life stamped out of them during a construction project right along the property line with the neighbours. I love helenium flowers. It will be nice that I won't have shell out big bucks for new plants. I'll likely even have enough plants to share.

So nice try winter. You thought you could crush me with your final bitter blow. But you're done! There's the door. Don't come knocking until next December.

P.S. Despite my many protestations, I was very relieved to have a real winter this year. All this melting snow has got to be good news for a landscape that was parched to no end last summer.

8 comments:

Marie said...

Lovely post :)

Linda said...

I'm with you, it just has to be over.

Anonymous said...

Yes,
we survid the winter storm..
Walking through our Guildwood Park was wonderful. The sun, lake, blue skies and the snow just like magic.
I postet more pictures on my guildwood.blogspot.com blog..take a look.
Remember what Environment Canada's senior climatologist boldly predicted on Nov. 30 that the country was about to endure its worst winter in about 15 years, a season so miserable that it would be a stark reminder of what real Canadian cold feels like?
I hope the winter is over.

Anonymous said...

Good for you..that's the spirit. Soon as you go to bed and get up again it will be closer to a warmer day. Here are some warm and comfy wishes from the south.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you finally declared winter over. Now I can start working in the garden. Um.. what about the foot and a half of snow out there? Can you declare that melted or something?

O.I.M said...

thanks for dropping by everybody. jim, I acknowledge there are a few kinks in my declaration. let me get back to you about the snow. :)
irena

Connie said...

I always leave smiling after reading your blog. :-) Hang on....warmer days are coming!
Don't give up on your peppers yet...they can take a while to germinate...just make sure they are in a nice warm place. (Or maybe just declare it a nice warm place? ha.)

O.I.M said...

thanks for visiting everybody. connie, you're a riot. thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
irena