Monday, March 17, 2008

Aching for Green

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone. Green is the colour of the day. I didn't realize how soothing green can be until I started looking back through last year's garden pictures. Here's a purple coneflower as it prepares to bloom. What is there not to love about this flower? It looks great all season long.

I love how the sun hits this Chinese Lantern.

This Solomon's Seal is from my in-laws' garden.

A hen and chick glistening with raindrops. It spent the summer in a container on the back porch. I transplanted it into the garden in fall but doubt it survived.

This has become a favourite corner of the garden. That crisp clean edge disappears as the summer progresses, but all the shades of green keep this section looking lush. Aside from some dainty white foamflowers and some delicate, red heuchera blooms, this area is all green. I can't wait to get the lawn chairs out there again. I hope the luck of the Irish rubs off on us northern gardeners this St. Patrick's Day and sends some warm weather our way. My eyes are just aching to see some green in the garden again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so soothing--I agree. If I could, I would have taken home half the nursery today. I got to be good about that and not spend all my paycheck on plants. You pics are beautiful. I love the first one. I just realized my cheeks are hot from being in the sun all day! I better get my sunscreen out.

kate said...

What an incredible photograph of the Solomon's Seal. It is wonderful to see all this green ... the Hostas, Echevaria and the Coneflower.

One of these days we'll get our green back and gardening season will begin!

kate said...

oops ... I just wanted to tell you that I added your blog to my 'playing in the dirt' links ... I thought that I did ages ago ... age is creeping up on me!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see "green" im my garden. But spring is around the corner.
Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!"
- Robin Williams


Happy Easter,
Gisela

Unknown said...

know just what you mean because this winter is just annoying, now. But eventually, spring will come. It always does, and we'll make it through...

O.I.M said...

anna, you need sunscreen. I am so jealous.

kate, thanks for adding me to your playing in dirt links. I like reading your blog too.

love the robin williams quote, gisela.

jodi, I think you've got it way worse in nova scotia than we do here in the t-dot. we will indeed make it through...i just wish it was sooner rather than later.

irena

Kylee Baumle said...

What beautiful greenness! I really enjoy all shapes and shades of foliage. Seeing your photos makes me long for summer!