Sunday, February 24, 2008

Bud Watch

The temperature cracked the freezing mark today and the sun was strong and blinding all day. Could it be that spring approaches? I just had to get out to see the action in the garden, limited though it might be. The buds on the copper beech were looking somewhat haggard, but I know from watching them over the last few seasons that they will plump up for some months to come. Just when I think the tree will never produce leaves, they will appear as if by magic overnight. The copper beech is one of my garden favourites, providing four seasons of beauty.

Even wearing just its buds, the Bloodgood Japanese Maple looks as elegant as always.

The black chokeberry (aronia melanocarpa "Autumn Magic") is looking especially robust and healthy. It was discount sale purchase late last fall so its appearance is especially encouraging.

The yew never disappoints. It is just dripping with little round green buds. It's doing surprisingly well considering that it has spent much of the past two months hunched over to about half its six-foot height under the weight of the snow. A few branches have begun to emerge from under the heavy layer of what is more appropriately called snow-ice but there's a lot of melting that needs to get out of the way first.

How is it possible that these little buds will produce some of the most spectacular blossoms in my garden? Some people aren't fans of the lilac. My garden wouldn't be complete without one. The burst of colour and fragrance it offers is unsurpassed.

I'm most looking forward to the blossoms of my serviceberry. I added it to my garden in mid-summer and missed out on its showy spring display. It produced a healthy crop of berries....although the raccoons got to them first more often than I did. It also put on a very colourful fall display. Now the waiting begins for its other great feature. Serviceberries are early bloomers, among the first in the springtime garden. And those blossoms can't come soon enough for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those buds must really make you happy when you live in a cold climate. Actually, they make me pretty happy here in a hot climate. ;-)