Thursday, February 11, 2021

Reaching for the Dirt : A Return to Garden Blogging

After an extended absence from garden blogging, I'm reviving My Roots Run Deep ahead of the 2021 garden season. 

Keep an eye on your bloodroot.
The flowers of this early spring bloomer are
fleeting and may last for only a day.

Last March, when we first felt the seismic effects of the pandemic here in Toronto, instinctively, I reached for the dirt. I understood immediately that my garden would provide the relief I needed from events unfolding around the globe. For the first time in years, with nothing but time on my hands, I immersed myself totally and completely in rediscovering my garden: the lush greens of wild gingers and ostrich ferns; the ephemeral beauty of serviceberry blossoms and bloodroot; the unabashed flamboyance of redbud and magnolia; the intoxicating scent of lilacs and peonies; and the rugged obstinacy of epimedium and haskap. 

Lilac Ludwig Spaeth adds an exhilarating fragrance to the garden.

What a revelation it was. I had been away from the garden for far too long.

And so I have returned.

In the days and months ahead, I hope you'll join me here for garden advice and reflections. Only 37 days until spring. 

Alliums all in row

 

You can find all my latest blog posts at My Roots Run Deep II

No comments: