Wednesday, March 31, 2010

True Blue: Dwarf Iris "Cantab" Garden Debut

Every morning I pull back the bedroom curtain and peek outside to see what kind of day it's going to be. This morning a flash of blue caught my eye. I raced downstairs and outside into the front-yard shade garden to discover the Dwarf Iris "Cantab" in bloom. I would just like to say "Wow!"

It's only about as tall as my pointer finger but what an impact! It's the bluest bloom I've ever had in the garden and it is unforgettable (even my husband who rarely takes notice of anything horticultural remarked on the colour.) I planted 48 of these bulbs last fall. I can't wait to see each and every one of them show their true blue colours.

6 comments:

Salix said...

Irena, that is beautiful! Iris is one of my very favourite flowers and I can't believe that it is blooming already in your Toronto garden.
From your "last fall" post I assume that they are bulbs and I'll look them up to see if they might tolerate our wet, heavy clay.
Lene

GardenGeri said...

Congrats on the excellent color in your photograph! gardengeri

Connie said...

It is indeed a beauty!

I hope you received your seeds?

Heather @ what's blooming this week said...

Did you get dressed first? I don't think I would have - it's beautiful!

Northern Shade said...

I love the dwarf iris bulbs. Cantab has such a beautiful blue colour. I had some in my last garden, and just planted some Cantab in this garden last Fall. So far, only the tips of the green are showing, so I hope the weather warms up to encourage the blooms soon.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blue flower(: