Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Seed Central

The kitchen is slowly becoming seed central. With forecasters calling for a severe drop in temperature tonight and warning of a major wind storm, it just felt right to seriously kick off seed season.

First up: the Large Musselburg leeks. They did very well last year. I harvested them quite early. Now I realize I could have left them in the ground a lot longer to thicken up. I love leeks. Leek and potato soup is a fall favourite.

Next: the "Red Wing Hybrid" Onions. Last year's experiment with bunching onions was a huge disappointment. The garden produced green onions that could only be described as pitiful. So this year, I'm going big. And since the package says "stores well" I'm hoping to produce enough to store a few through winter. Ultimately this is becoming the goal of the vegetable garden: produce enough to sustain oneself through the cold, dreary months. I've got a ways to go but certainly progress is being made.

On the tomato front, "Petitbec" will be returning for another season. This was easily the most robust plant and prolific producer in the garden last year. It's a huge bonus that the sprout enjoys eating the tomatoes right off the vine. The fruit is slightly larger than a cherry tomato.

I didn't plan to plant any "Green Zebra" tomatoes but while I was shopping I sparked up a conversation with a gentleman who grows dozens of tomato varieties. He raved about "Green Zebra" enough to spark my curiosity. It's supposed to have a slightly tangy flavour. We'll see how it goes.

And speaking of rave reviews, Brandywine fans have lots of glowing things to say about this tomato. I can't wait to taste it and see what all the fuss is about.

Together with potatoes, strawberries were the first edibles I put into the garden. I grew them for years but eventually conceded defeat to the squirrels. Now that I have a sprout in my life the appeal of strawberries is strong again. Like the tomatoes, strawberries are a fun food to be experienced straight off the vine and still warm from the sun. These strawberries are called "Temptation." Doesn't bode well in the battle against the squirrels. I see some nets in my future. For now though, all is safe at seed central.

4 comments:

Connie said...

WARNING: Once you taste that Brandywine tomato, you'll have to have them every year. I have trialed many heirloom tomatoes, but most don't get a second chance in my garden. Not so Brandywine....it is truly a great tasting tomato!

Nice seed set up you have this year.

Gardenista said...

I grew Temptation strawberries a few years ago. They taste nice but were a bit small. It's certainly nice to have fresh berries though. Maybe the squirrels would be less likely to get them if they're in pots? I had mine in barrels and then transplanted them into the ground for fall so that they'd overwinter.

Nutty Gnome said...

All these people being so organised in doing their seeds is making me feel quite guilty that I've only just managed to get my potatoes chitting and haven't planted anything yet!I obviously need to get off my fat backside and go do it!
Brandywine are great tomatoes.

Did you know that if you plant a chilli in the same pot as a cucumber you get sligtly spicey (and VERY tasty) cucumbers?! - one of my better accidents of last years plantings!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, those strawberries look/sound nice - I think I'll order some, too!